The Méditerranée Infection Foundation draws from its name the idea of synergy, gathering, and influence. Bringing together innovation and expertise, rooted in a region with an international influence, and supported by various and complementary partners, it is bound to become an attractive worldwide hub within the sphere of infectious diseases.
The Méditerranée Infection Foundation aims at condensing the means of fight against infectious diseases, first cause of death in the world (17 million deaths per year) and in particular the three global killers (HIV, tuberculosis and malaria), in a major and strategic core at local, national and international levels. To achieve this goal, the foundation consists of three sectors:
- Innovative specialised clinical departments at the forefront of technology by reuniting and developing three infectious diseases departments in Marseilles,
- Attracting international first-class researchers to develop research on infectious diseases,
- Transforming this knowledge into useful elements for humans, such as diagnostic or therapeutic products, and developing special interactions with national and regional industrial partners.
In addition, two particularly innovative points emerge from this project:
- the integration of the Infectiopôle Sud Foundation, to be a department of the new Foundation, which will involve the recruitment of around 30 students per year from Southern countries.
- the industrial partners physically involved in the IHU for a practical management of the use of research’s results.
This concentration of aims and means will be physically achieved in an intelligent building located on the site of La Timone, between the Faculty of Medicine and La Timone Hospital, combining care, research, monitoring and information infectious diseases.